- An important Jewish town on the shore of the Sea of Galilee which was destroyed in the first Jewish revolt against Rome in 67 AD.
- Home to one of the oldest excavated synagogues in Galilee (one of 7 from the 1st century in Israel).
- A coin minted in Tiberias in 29 CE was found in this synagogue, confirming that it was from the 1st century and the time of Jesus’ ministry.
- Magdala is most likely the hometown of Mary Magdalene.
- Since Jesus frequented the towns and villages of the North and West shorelines of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus likely visited this synagogue.